Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Goodbye Jerry Ford!


The death yesterday at age 93 of Gerald R Ford, the 38th president of the United States, brought back childhood memories for me. He is the only US president I have met (so far). My elementary school class from Fairfax County VA took a field trip up to DC one day to tour the White House. I have to admit I don't recall much about that day (it was a long time ago, of course) but the event that I do remember happened just outside the Oval Office. The doors opened and President Ford emerged, accompanied by some of his aides. He took a look at us, smiled, and waved, then went down the hall. We of course waved back. His time in office was a little too brief to do many things, but I still remember him as a decent man who took a few seconds of his time to greet a bunch of kids. Unfortunately times have changed, and I doubt tour groups nowadays have the chance to get close to the President. Goodbye President Ford, and thank you.

No comments: